Keto coffee doesn’t have to be complicated. As long as it’s low carb, you’re already winning. But what options do you have if you want something more than black coffee?
First of all, the last thing I want to do in the morning is get up and clean out a coffee machine. Keto already takes up so much prep time with making things from scratch, I’m always looking for convenience in the few times I can get it. So my go to is instant coffee. There are many brands, but for me the one I’ve had that tastes considerably better than others is the Starbucks Via line. I’ve had several of their flavors and they’re all great. They’re not quite “high end coffee shop” but taste-wise I’d put it over most diners/fast food places.
Personally, these days I take my coffee decaf with some heavy cream and a dash of salt. I don’t really need sweetener anymore, but there are a lot of great options out there.
- Monk Fruit Drops – These are my favorite for drinks in general, easy to add and the aftertaste generally isn’t noticeable in coffee. Use it to sweeten to taste. They’re small bottles and they’re easy to take places with you. Since it’s not a sugar alcohol it also won’t give you a stomachache.
- Jordan’s Skinny Mixes – If you want a really fancy coffee this is generally the line to look at. They have a line that is specifically targeted for keto folks and has cleaner ingredients, but so far all of the syrups I’ve seen from them still count as keto. They have your standard vanilla bean syrup, but they also have things like Smores, Butter Toffee, and Sugar Cookie.
- Heavy Cream – This is easy to add, high in fat, and low in carbs. You still can’t go crazy with it, but higher fat dairy tends to be lower carb. It’s also super filling!
- Powdered Heavy Cream – The problem with fresh cream is it goes bad fairly quickly and requires a fridge. If you’re on the road, this is a great way to carry heavy cream with you.
- Butter – Some people choose to use this as a creamer on it’s own or add some to heavy cream. A little goes a long way. That said, it tends to separate and settle on top. You can just stir every few sips, or you can get a milk frother to mix it up better with the coffee.
- Primal Kitchen Hazelnut Collagen Creamer – This is a great non-dairy option for the folks who don’t get along well with dairy. It also serves as both a creamer and a sweetener. Easy! Also great if you’re low on fridge space. We mostly use Heavy Cream, but we keep this on hand for when we run out. You can just dump this in and stir it in.
- MCT Oil – Warning: This stuff can give you a stomachache. You have to start with a little (1/4th teaspoon) and work your way up. Some people say it helps give them more energy. Similarly to the butter it will likely pool to the top, so you’ll need to stir it every few sips or get a milk frother. Personally, I don’t like the stuff, it has an aftertaste and actually usually made me feel bad.
- Use a micro-wave safe mug and fill it with water. Leave room at the top for cream and any add ins.
- Microwave the mug of water for 2 minutes.
- Add in the Starbucks Via Mix. Stir.
- Add a dash of salt. This cuts the bitterness of the coffee while also providing you with some electrolytes. Stir.
- Add any creamer if desired
- Add any keto sweetener if desired. Stir.